Chinchu Mohan

I joined The University of Melbourne for PhD in August 2015. I am doing my PhD with Prof. Andrew Western (University of Melbourne), Assoc. Prof. Yongping Wei (University of Queensland) and Prof. Madan Kumar Jha (Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur). I did my Master’s Degree in Land and Water Resource Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur and Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Engineering from Kerala Agricultural University.

My main professional interest is in hydrology. In my PhD I am investigating the relationship between groundwater depletion and groundwater dependent food production at a global scale. In my research, I study the stress dynamics of groundwater systems due to excessive irrigation in 63 countries all over the world. The study also tests various managerial interventions like increasing the irrigation efficiency and productivity to reduce the groundwater depletion without reducing the food production. My PhD research also investigate the future of our groundwater resources under different climate change scenarios. My area of interest also includes teaching and translating the complex understanding of hydrology into a digestible form and communicating it.

Project Duration: 2015 – 2019

LinkedIn profile: https://au.linkedin.com/in/chinchu-mohan-b16ab697