Joydip Mondal

Research summary:

During my PhD, I plan to investigate the physics behind jets and shockwaves induced by multi-bubble interaction. Examining the possible wear on materials due to such mechanistic effects but at different temperatures poses some interesting challenges.

For this purpose, my work aims to develop a numerical model, that is supported by experimental evidence pertaining to bubble-interaction near solid. The results may be scalable for different bubble-sizes and valid for creative applications in bubble-based medical treatment to commercial industries. Overall, my research outlines the unconventional eco-friendly methods for particle fragmentation using bubble interaction.

Project Duration: 2017- 2022

Supervisors:

• The University of Melbourne: Prof. Muthupandian Ashokkumar
  • Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur: Dr. Parthasarathi Ghosh, Dr. Rajaram Lakkaraju

Student Profile:

I started my PhD at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-Kgp) in June 2017 and joined the University of Melbourne (UoM) in December 2018 to carry out a part of my research project under the MIPA (Melbourne India Postgraduate academy) programme which promotes the Joint-PhD opportunity between the two reputed institutes.

Besides the coursework, I had formulated a set of goals on my research topic during my first year in IIT-Kgp. Based on these, a numerical model was also devised to examine bubble interaction at different temperatures while in IIT-Kgp. In UoM, I am currently preparing an experimental setup to verify this model and plan to compare the data acquired from both cases.

I have completed my Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Kalyani Government Engineering College, West Bengal followed by a Master’s degree in Cryogenic Engineering from IIT-Kgp.

My current objective is to do qualitative research that supplements my interest and elevates my understanding in fields related to cavitation/ bubble dynamics.  Professionally, I wish to forge a career in academia and research.

In pursuit of the same, I value teamwork and learning new techniques. During my spare time, I enjoy travelling and picking up new languages.

Contact Email: mondalj@student.unimelb.edu.au