Santa Maiti

Research summary:

During my PhD I have investigated the behaviour of vehicle platoons and platoon formation strategies. Vehicle platooning refers to a closely coordinated vehicle following mechanism without having any mechanical linkage while maintaining a safe distance. It has been proposed with the primary objectives of cutting down fuel consumption and increasing road capacity and throughput. The research primarily aims to develop different platooning scenarios in the simulation environment and to study the behaviour of a platoon in presence of traffic which is not suitable for on-road trials.

Project Duration: 2015-2019

Supervisors: 

Student Profile:

I started my PhD at The University of Melbourne, Infrastructure Engineering Department in November 2015. I fulfilled my Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science at WBUT in 2008 and a Master’s degree in Information Technology in 2013 from IIT Kharagpur, India. I worked in the R&D division of TCS Innovation Lab in India and has experience with development and research in trajectory data analytics and planner tool (2012-2015). My current eld of research is analysis of vehicle platoon behaviour. I can speak Bengali, English and Hindi. In my spare time I like to read story books.

Publications:

A conceptualization of vehicle platoons and platoon operations,S Maiti, S Winter, L Kulik, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 80, 1-19

Contact email:

smaiti@student.unimelb.edu.au