Cyber-foraging with Cloudlets for Low-latency applications over Fiber-Wireless Networks
With the emergence of Internet of Things, Tactile Internet, and 5G applications, major interest is currently given to the integration of centralized cloud computing and distributed edge computing infrastructures to deliver higher performance and reliability to the mobile users in accessing mobile cloud services. To fulfill the ravenous demand for computational resources entangled with the crisp latency requirements of various computationally heavy applications related to augmented reality, cognitive assistance and context-aware computation, installation of cloudlets near access seems to be a very promising solution because of its support for wide geographical network distribution, low latency, mobility and heterogeneity.
In this research work, we proposed a hybrid cloudlet placement network architecture over existing passive optical access network infrastructures. Initially, we focused on static cloudlet network planning and placement, i.e., identification of optimal cloudlet placement locations over urban, suburban and rural deployment scenarios to provide guidance on the installation and maintenance costs and assess the percentage of incremental energy arising from the presence of cloudlets in the optical access. After this, we proposed analytical cost optimization framework that resolves the scalability issues arising from integer programming-based frameworks, thus providing a user-friendly closed form expression to achieve a first-hand estimation of the cloudlet deployment cost against any scenario. We further proposed an economic and non-cooperative game theoretic model among multiple competitive cloudlets. This model aims to maximize the utilities of all the competing cloudlets while achieving a fairness in the overall end-to-end system latency.
Project Duration: 2016 – 2020
- The University of Melbourne: Prof. Elaine Wong, Prof. Ampalavanapillai Nirmalathas
- IIT Kharagpur: A/Prof. Goutam Das
Sourav Mondal received the B.Tech degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Kalyani Govt. Engineering College, affiliated to West Bengal University of Technology and the M.Tech in Telecommunication Systems Engineering from the Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 2012 and 2014, respectively. He has worked in Qualcomm India Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad from 2014 to 2016. Since October 2016, he has joined Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of the University of Melbourne under the MIPP program to pursue his doctoral studies and has started to work on Cloudlet based edge-computing for low-latency applications over optical access networks.
Contact email: email@example.com
- E. Wong, S. Mondal and G. Das, “Cloudlets for the Tactile Internet”, in 2017 19th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), Girona, 2017.
- S. Mondal, G. Das and E. Wong, “Support of Low Latency Applications through Hybrid Cost-Optimised Cloudlet Placement”, in 2018 20th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), Bucharest, 2018.
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “A Novel Cost Optimization Framework for Multi-Cloudlet Environment over Optical Access Networks,” in GLOBECOM 2017 – 2017 IEEE Global Communications Conference, Singapore, 2017, pp. 1–6.
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “CCOMPASSION: A Hybrid Cloudlet Placement Framework over Passive Optical Access Network,” in IEEE INFOCOM 2018 – IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, Honolulu, HI, USA, 2018, pp. 1–9.
- L. Ruan, S. Mondal and E. Wong, “Machine learning based bandwidth prediction in tactile heterogeneous access networks,” IEEE INFOCOM 2018 – IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), Honolulu, HI, USA, 2018, pp. 1-2.
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “Computation Offloading in Optical Access Cloudlet Networks: A Game-Theoretic Approach,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1481–1484, July 2018.
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “An Analytical Cost-Optimal Cloudlet Placement Framework over Fiber-Wireless Networks with Quasi-Convex Latency Constraint,” Electronics, vol. 8, no. 4, 2019.
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “Cost-optimal cloudlet placement frameworks over fiber-wireless access networks for low-latency applications,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 138, pp. 27-38, July 2019.
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “An Analytical Cost-Optimization Framework for Hybrid Cloudlet Placement over Fiber-Wireless Access Networks,” IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communication and Networking, 2019. (submitted)
- S. Mondal, G. Das, and E. Wong, “A Novel Computation Offloading Game amongst Competing Cloudlets over Fiber-Wireless Networks,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2019. (submitted)