Aakash Gupta

Research summary

My PhD focuses on human fungal pathogen Talaromyces marneffei and how its different cell wall components plays their role in the pathogenicity. Specifically, we are interested in the cell wall remodelling of this pathogen upon encountering host. We are also interested in looking at the ultimate fate of this pathogen within the host and the counter mechanisms acquired by the pathogen to survive within a hostile environment.

Project duration: 2015 – 2019

Supervisor:

Student profile:

I commenced my PhD at University of Melbourne in the fungal lab at School of Biosciences headed by Alex Andrianopoulos in September 2015. I completed my masters (M.tech) from IIT Kgp (2013-2015) where I worked on a fungi Aspergillus niger and extracted biodiesel from its lipids .Working on fungi  turned out as the common link between both of my projects. My project at University Melbourne aims towards exploring the cell wall architecture of the Talaromyces marneffei and finding new antifungal targets within it.

I currently (2018-2019) hold the position as President of GBCC (Graduate Backyard Cricket Club) here at University of Melbourne and loves to go out for hiking and running.

Contact details:

Email: aakashg@student.unimelb.edu.au

linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aakash-gupta-494351149/