Amrish Kumar Padmakumar

Controlled Radical Polymerization Using Power Ultrasound

Research Summary:

Controlled Radical Polymerization (CRP) is a technique used to synthesize polymers with various architectures and narrow polydispersity index (PDI). During my PhD, I will focus on the investigation of the targeted scission of polymer chains formed during CRP using ultrasound to produce polymers with optimized molecular weight and narrow molecular weight distribution. The aim of this study is to synthesize tailor made polymers with narrow PDI and well defined molecular weights without the use of chemical initiators.

Project Duration: 2019-2022

Supervisors: 

Student Profile:

I have enrolled for PhD in Chemical Engineering (Polymer Science Group) at the University of Melbourne in April 2019. I have successfully completed a Master’s Degree in Chemistry (M.Sc) from Loyola College, Chennai in 2014 and a Master’s Degree in Rubber Technology (M.Tech) from Indian Institute of Technology – Kharagpur (IIT-KGP) in 2017. Prior to joining the institute, I was a Research Assistant in Rubber Technology Center at IIT-KGP for 7 months. I have also worked with India’s leading tyre manufacturer MRF Ltd. for more than 6 years at their R&D Center in Chennai, India. I can converse in Tamil, English, Hindi and some Malayalam and French. Apart from academics, I love cooking, photography and traveling.

Contact Email: amrishkumar.padmakumar@student.unimelb.edu.au

LinkedIn Profile www.linkedin.com/in/amrishkumarp