Chinglen Meetei Tensubam

Wave Induced Turbulence Effect on Oceanic Biogeochemistry and Prediction of Ocean Color Response to Changing Wave Climate

Research Summary:
My research is based on the relationship between Wave Turbulence and Ocean Color. The main focus of my research is to investigate the effect of wave induced turbulence on oceanic biogeochemistry and how ocean color is responded to changing wave climate. The role of surface ocean waves becomes substantial in the upper ocean layer mixing. Due to turbulence induced by the surface waves (both broken and unbroken waves), important upper ocean parameters change such as lowering of sea surface temperature (SST), deepening of mixed layer depth (MLD), nutrient distribution, etc. The purpose of this project is to study the effect of wave induced turbulence on oceanic biogeochemistry such as nutrients distribution and how it affects the nutrients supply to tiny plants in the ocean called phytoplanktons, which formed the basis of marine ecosystem. This project is jointly developed by the University of Melbourne and the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur under MIPA program and it involves different expertise: ocean waves (University of Melbourne) and ocean color (IIT Kharagpur).

Student Profile:

I did my MTech from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur with specialization in Earth System Science and Technology in 2017. During my MTech, I worked on Internal waves and its effect on chlorophyll concentration in the Andaman Sea. I have presented a paper based on my MTech work titled ‘Detection of Internal Waves and Study of its Effect on Chlorophyll Concentration in the Andaman Sea’ at the third ‘International Ocean Color Science (IOCS) Meeting 2017, Lisbon’ organized by International Ocean Color Coordinating Group (IOCCG).
I LOVE PLAYING FOOTBALL. Other activities that I love doing in my leisure time are listening music, trekking, gym, etc.

Project Duration: 2019-2022

Supervisors: Prof. Alexander V Babanin, The University of Melbourne, Prof. Ian Young, The University of Melbourne, Prof. Mihir Kumar Dash, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur

Home University: The University of Melbourne

Partner University: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur